Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sea-to-Sea NA Day 43 Today we had a 130km shoreline drive. Well not quite all shoreline at some points we went inland from time to time to avoid driving on Hwy 12 for some reason. I think the police get nervous when they hear about 140 cyclists and get Ed to move the tour off of the main roads but in so doing we add a lot of distance by zigzagging all over. We don’t mind the diversions when they are along an interesting shoreline road but when they go out into plain country well… And so it was we went thru the town of Michigan in Indiana and saw many nice shoreline and homes built up on the dunes along that road. Then the route swung out into the countryside, where I met up with Dirk and since his speed was respectable I decided to ride a while with him. As we were riding and talking we came back to Hwy 12 and turned onto it but realized that neither of us had seen the directional arrow on the road. We tried to turn later to get back on route but the road only led us back to #12 so we decided to stay on it even when the route swung back into the country side. Good thing because we came across a nice bakery and another lost bunch, ‘the London Hard Riders Club’ I call them, who needed help getting back on track. Dirk and I went farther down the road and eventually we were overtaken by a group of 5 riders. We all stopped at a local food/drink stop set up by people from a local church. Dirk and I took off first and reached the next SAG stop before the group, left again before them and then they overtook us at some point down the road. Dirk was feeling good so we latched onto the back of the group. I swung in behind him to make sure that he didn’t get behind, coaching him a little from time to time. Our speed had increased from 28-30kph to 32-40kph depending on who was leading and the terrain. Eventually Dirk tired and I carried on with the group until we reached the town where we were staying, another nice beachside town with many nice beach homes. If the truth were known, I was by myself at the time and rode past a school and seeing no trucks there I assumed that it was still farther along especially since there were no arrows. Then I came to the highway again and followed the C2C arrows on the road turning left. Two or three kilometres along my distance indicator was telling me I should be at the school by now. I pulled out my instructions and could not find the road name on my list. I turned around and went back to the school; which was the correct place after all. The road arrows had been for the ride the next day!

No comments: