Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sea-to-Sea NA Day 29 The road stretched off to the horizon. Only a few grain elevators and communication towers reached into the sky. This is prime cattle-grazing country with some irrigated crops like sugar beets and corn. From time to time there are wheat fields; which by now have been harvested. Today I was on a solo ride and never unclipped from the start to finish of the ride, 140km. I take enough food, in fact more than enough to keep me going, and drink for the day, two bottles of Gator Aid and two of water. Once I get into the ride it seems I could go forever. The contour map says we are loosing elevation but there was still what seemed to be a lot of climbing. The wind was against us or from the side and that may have added to this impression. I finished the ride in 4:15 for an average speed of about 33kph arriving at our new camp around noon. At first this town like the others along the way seems pretty dead but a closer examination, after a piece of pie and coffee, revealed many nice well-kept homes. The swimming pool is exceptionally nice for a town this size with many fun water park type features. I toured around a bit looking for photo shots and found a few. Usually I just take pictures with the handlebar-mounted camera while I am riding but for these pictures I stop and dismount the camera. At present (3PM) the tents are all set up. Anne and others have gone to the pool while I write and wait for Rita to arrive. It is probably in the low 90s here now so physical exertion becomes more difficult as the day wears on. Just to finish a few details for yesterday; it did rain a little and the winds died down around 6:30. On a sad not Cynthia Aukema had a run-in with a box on the interstate and broke her pelvis so is in hospital preparing for the trip home. She like Tyler was set to go all the way and enjoying the ride immensely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you once again for the ride on Sunday.
Tyler