Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sea-to-Sea NA Day 27 & 28 Sunday morning we all biked to the open-air stadium for our Denver Celebration Service. This High School like most we have stayed at have a small stadium for their football games. The sun was out in full force; bottled water was handed out through the service. Despite the heat it was a lively service with an inspiring message on fighting poverty. In the afternoon bus rides to downtown were available so we went for a walk there. Denver is a fairly new city with wide streets and many sidewalk cafes, lots of flowers and a few parks. After that I had to dismantle the tandem for shipment back home and finish preparing the other two single bikes for use today. Right now the wind is blowing hard, I can see the rain in the distance. My tent and bikes are ready but some riders are still on the road. The wind is from behind so it should help them some. We have such a variety of tents it is interesting to see how they stand up to the strong winds. Mine goes convex in the strong gusts. The ride out of Denver was along a concrete riverside bike path through the city and out into the country. Canada Geese lined the path as if they recognized fellow Canadians. They did the regular goose salute along the path in some places. It was a good thing that I had my single bike so I could manoeuvre around the droppings easily. The river looked nice in the early morning sun but smelled like a sewer. Rita had left earlier with Anne. I completed taking down the tent and the other packing as well as loading my own bike. They were about 50km out when I came across them. I rode with them for a while until the SAG stop where they continued and I stopped for some personal relief in our Port-a-Potty which had hit a few bumps and somehow spilled some of it’s load. I never use the thing but thought I would be nice today since it was still in a built up area. Next time I will restrain myself. Anyway I caught up with the ladies a little farther down the road, rode with them for a few minutes and then said my goodbyes. A young rider, Aaron carpenter caught up with me shortly after and we rode together for the remaining 90 or so km. Much of the ride was along the I76 where the speed limit is 75 mph. We rode outside of the rumble strip where the pavement was smoothest. Because the road direction were confusing, the SAG ladies couldn’t find the road, we stayed on the I76 right to Fort Morgan, had something to eat at McD and before 1PM went to the high school. The ladies arrived after I had the tents set up and finished my shower. The road that couldn’t be found earlier was found and they had followed it to Wiggins where the restaurant owner would not let them pay for the coffee and pie they had, or for that matter any other riders who stopped there after that, because she was so supportive of our cause and journey. That’s about it for today. The wind is still blowing and most riders have been blown in by it. Supper will be inside because of the wind. Sorry, no pictures tonight, I accidentally erased the few I had.

No comments: